Progress has been steady this week, the joints needed to attach the boot rack frame to the legs are very tricky. Firstly marking on a round isn't the easiest thing, cutting straight and lined up joints on each leg adds another interesting dimension to it all. The side legs were fairly straightforward with the aid of clamped guides; set fractionally smaller than the frame that will fit it, and some masking tape on the saw for the right depth. Huw produced yet another unusual plane, used to eat out at a set depth. A handy little tool that helped create some lovely clean joints.
The middle leg wasn't nearly as straight forward, but with a leap of faith and a stead hand, I got there in the end. Because the housing was a fraction smaller than the rails, I used a smoothing plane to eek it into size one shaving at a time.
To tidy up the look I planed back the rail to the same angle as the legs. I'm becoming a little obsessed with the sanding and finishing and couldn't resist another blitz with the 240 grit before fitting it all together. Now it's all glued up, it's looking pretty smart.
Now its time for the all important back rest. Starting out by marking out the general shape and drilling the joints for the back spindles, the rest of the day was spent smoothing it out with a couple of spoke shavers. Its going to be a long-haul getting a nice, smooth shape by hand... fingers crossed I'll get to a good result before my leather is delivered.